Re: Who should own database? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Daniel Staal
Subject Re: Who should own database?
Date
Re: Who should own database?  ("petrov.boris.v@mail.ru" <petrov.boris.v@mail.ru>)
List pgsql-novice
--As of February 10, 2015 4:04:55 PM +0300, petrov.boris.v@mail.ru is
alleged to have said:

> If one have database web_site_data
> And two users: php_script and boris_developer
> Who should own database?
>
> I have some point on that when using mysql, but PostgreSQL role
> management looks much more versatile, so I am looking for opinion of
> PostgreSQL users. What is your practice and why?

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Who needs to do what with the database?  The owner should be the user that
needs the permissions that come with being the owner.  (Or the owner should
be a specific account set up just to be the owner, and the others should
only have the permissions they need.)

From just the names, I'd suggest if you are picking one of the two, to have
boris_developer be the owner, as php_script sounds like a web interface,
and it's usually best not to give web interfaces any permission they don't
absolutely *need*.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.